Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:26:23 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        John <podgod@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Definitely a newbie...

> John wrote:
>
> I currently have a PII 266 with Win95 and Solaris 2.6.  Solaris is
> not quite what I expected and would like to switch to freeBSD to
> learn more about Unix.  I have three questions:
>
> 1.)  How do I get rid of the Sun boot manager that comes up every
> time I turn on the machine?

Mostlikely a DOS Fdisk /mbr (to replace the Master boot record) or
reinstall the FreeBSD boot manager (booteasy.)  If using booteasy be
sure to select all the relevant partitions.

> 2.)  Will freeBSD run all the popular software that Linux runs?
> Netscape, WordPerfect, and the like?  I say linux because most of
> the software is cheap!

I hear that FreeBSD is supposed to run 99% of all Linux binaries.  If
it was compiled on Linux, you can most likely get it to run.

> 3.)  Is freeBSD a good flavor of Unix for a new computer science
> student to use on a home computer to learn about Unix and
> networking?

I've learned quite a bit from it, and there is quite a bit of
documentation lying around.  Quite a bit is in the handbook and FAQ,
and even more on other sites:

http://www.freebsdrocks.com
http://www.freebsdzine.org
http://www.freebsddiary.com