Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:10:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anatomy of Perfomance tests

>> That said, I think that the Linux kernel performs better simply due to
>> wider adoption (larger developer base, wider set of use-cases, etc)
>> and thus a higher chance of getting performance improvements.
>
> Note that stability matters too.

of course - this is what i pointed out at first.

the second is clear team managing a kernel, and support.
What i recently get when getting FreeBSD crash problems is something that
you'll not get from linux. It found out to be my fault.

I would generally call properly configured FreeBSD as rock-stable.

The filesystem performance was close, and comparing dangerous linux
filesystem to UFS isn't good.

i would recommend comparing -o async mounted UFS with that test.

Second - i would like to see how responsive linux server is WHILE
performing that tests ;) high latencies under load was a problem i always
had with linux when still using it.

But scientific computing task results are FreeBSD fault, and the some
reason is clang compiler,.

With recent gcc-recompiled binaries it would be similar result.
Similar as with compute-bound processes OS doesn't have much to change.
Maybe, if there were more threads run than available, scheduler could
matter.
And i think FreeBSD scheduler would clearly win.