Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:27:11 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Mario Olofo <mario.olofo@gmail.com>, John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD on M.2 SSD

On 2020-02-24 09:58, Mario Olofo wrote:
> Hello John, thank you for your reply.
>
> Yesterday I reinstalled the 12.1 on a VirtualBox virtual machine, did the
> same steps and it didn't corrupted the ZFS, so I think that the problem is
> in the FreeBSD's driver for m.2 SSD.
> Besides the corruption of the filesystem, I forgot to mention that I
> noticed a little noise on disk writes on FreeBSD, but not on Linux or
> Windows.
> I found some old threads about incorrectly params for sector size for
> Samsung's SSD, but nothing about WD.
> If someone responsible for the driver need help to solve this problem, I
> can reinstall the FreeBSD on my machine and compile a custom kernel to
> gather debug information.

Unfortunately you haven't provided much in details regarding the
hardware you are running as far as FreeBSD see's it.  I can confirm I
have had many systems using m.2 for quite a while and have had zero
issues.  Could you provide some of these details?

(assuming this is an NVMe device):
$ sudo nvmecontrol  devlist
$ sudo pciconf -lv nvme0

if your device isn't NVMe and is a sata device then this info may be
helpful as well:
$ sudo camcontrol devlist

and your dmesg will also probably be helpful here as well.  I think
getting at least this basic info will help determine where the issue is
cropping up.

cheers,
-pete

--