Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:54:03 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving Things [was Re: List of things to move from main tree]

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

[diet quote]

> In a design like this, all distinction between src and ports goes away
> and it largely comes down to how much source the user wants to have
> lying around - anything from all to none.
>
> Developers adding new stuff to this system simply have to make sure
> that it's properly fitted into the global hierachy and that it will
> build and install correctly from its assigned spot, dependencies and
> all.  Whether its principal developer(s) then decide that the master
> sources should live on primarily as a tarball or in a CVS repository
> somewhere shouldn't be the end-user's concern at all.  Just so long as
> the components the user has declared transient on their system stay
> transient and the components declared fixed have sources sitting in
> the appropriate subdirectories of /foo/src whenever they look,
> everybody is happy.

I disagree. One of FreeBSD strong points with many users is that we are
not a "distribution", a bundle of assorted software thrown in together,
but a whole OS, tightly integrated and balanced, to which the user may
add extra software if he wants to.

How could we possibly maintain this sense of integration, this sense of
balance if there was no basic standard distribution around which we
work?

The mechanics you suggested seems fine, but only as long as we *do* keep
a clear definition of what is FreeBSD and what is the rest. And that
does mean saying "our MTA is sendmail, but you can chose to use another
instead", instead of saying "you can use whatever MTA you want."

All IMHO, of course.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"That's evil, Sir," Layson said admiringly.