Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:57:11 +0300
From:      "ANdrei" <lists@hausro.de>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: building an old-hardware server

hi Olivier, and thanks for the reply,

> In general, old hardware can be used without too many problems, except for
> the
> hard drives: if you still want to do it, select items with little mileage.

some 2.1GB IBM's are still new, but I don't expect problems for the other
SCSI drives either, have been using parts from the same stock pile for years
and everything went ok, so this will not be an issue I guess.

> In general, SCSI is faster so it should be a better option (although I
> have no
> first hand experience) but for a small server, IDE should still be
> sufficient. The size of the disk may be your criterion at the end of the
> day.
> 4 to 6 disks means space, power consumption and possibly heat. Make sure
> you
> don't get to a situation where you need extra ventilation just for the
> disks
> - I suppose the chassis too will be second hand... You might have a higher
> failure rate just because of this.

yeah, you are right. I'd still like to use a few separate disks, as
individual disks mean higher speed usually, especially when compiling on
such slow processors. Ventilation will not be a problem, the chassis is
second hand but almost new, and is big and has great ventilation.
Is a 10MB/s SCSI-2 usually really faster than an UDMA33 IDE? Seems like it,
when looking at seek times, etc... I might go for the SCSI solution, all
disks are just lying around here... I think 2x2GB SCSI to be a better
solution than 1x4GB IDE, as when I mount different parts of the FS on
different drives I will getter better access times. As I mentioned: space
will not be such a big problem, rather disk speed and processor usage...

> For 10 to 20 users, I  don't know if RAID will make a significant
> difference
> (I would not think so). If you still want to go this way, RAID1 would be
> an
> easy route and ensure a simple backup mechanism in case of failure.

I was thinking about that also, or striping+mirroring... But would software
RAID not be slower than non-RAID and kill my slow processors?
Can anyone recommend any software RAID solution for this, that I can use
from the beginning of the install of 6.1?

> One 600MHz processor may be faster, depending on the CPU load balance -
> multiple processors means some overhead in management and does not ensure
> full balance. Also, if you upgrade, you will have to replace 2 processors
> instead of one, what might not be an economical advantage - procurement
> may
> also be complex for such old parts.

Actually when I will upgrade I can go up to 1GHz with one or two processors
(have a termination adapter at hand already, in case I use only one), but
now there is no money for this... All I have around here is one 600MHz PIII,
one 450MHz PIII and two 350MHz PII processors... I will try to give it a run
with both the 2x350's and the 600MHz CPU when everything is installed and
done... I will have to have 2 different kernels already compiled for this,
right?

> If you plan on using a database in SMP, you may reach your limit quickly.
> would recommend a dry run on another machine with the same services and
> measure the RAM usage. Note that FreeBSD does a good job at caching disk
> accesses - what requires free RAM.

OK, will try to put some more in :) Of course, as always, more RAM is better
and never enough :)

> I've been using the RTL8139B, Rhine-II and Rhine-III (on a C3-based Epia
> board) without any problem for quite some time now. I can recommend them.
> The
> fact that the drivers are buggy does not necessarily mean that you will
> face
> big issues: in most cases, the bugs just apply to some particular
> features.

RTL8139 worked fine for me usually, too, but sometimes it got very slow...
No experience with Rhine on FreeBSD though, but I read that some
buffer/registry access tweaks that had to be done impact CPU usage quite
alot sometimes... As I have the 3Com anyway around, I decided to go for
it...

ANdrei