Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:44:32 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        John Vender <john@jmv.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pick database in FreeBSD

John Vender wrote:
> On Sunday, September 15, 2002, at 09:16 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>> This may be totally off-topic, or it may not, so I'll risk asking.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Pick database system from
>> Raining Data?  The software is technically discontinued so I'm having
>> a lot of trouble finding information on it and I've suddenly picked
>> up a client that has a Pick system with a LOT of data in it.
>>
>> Everything I've been able to find claims that Pick runs on a Unix
>> server.  Has anyone ever run Pick on FreeBSD?  It appears that these
>> folks are currently running Pick under NT, but I can't find any docs
>> anywhere that claim that this is possible.
>>
>> What I'd really like to do is come up with a migration plan to get
>> these folks away from Pick (since it's no longer supported or
>> developed) and onto something based on PostgreSQL and FreeBSD.
>> If anyone has any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate
>> any advice.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I hope the irc log below is at least some help. Sorry if the formatting
> comes out bad.

Thanks John,

Unfortunately, you haven't told me anything that I don't already know.
This client wants a web interface to the data, and more stuff added to
the system.  I don't have a problem learning and programming in Pick
(the language looks like a cross between SQL and Fortran) but I'm
guessing that using Pick is going to be problematic at some point
in the near future, partially because of the problems you outline
below.
This client won't fork out the $$$ to do a wholesale upgrade/switchover,
but they'll be happy to pay me a little every month for the next
several years to do it a little at a time, and that's what I'm trying
to come up with a plan to accomplish.
Unfortunately, it looks like my best bet at getting at the existing Pick
data will be a telnet emulation in whatever program I write.  Bummer.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies