Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 06:39:58 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: A couple of points about ports

>A lot of ports under 2.X suffer from a different definition of "sys_errlist"
>Most of the times the patches symply remove the offending line in the
>source. Is there any better way ? In stdio.h, there are a couple of

The correct way is to remove all declarations and explicit use of
sys_errlist and sys_nerr and use strerror().  This is a worse way
if you want a quick and dirty port.

>macros, ANSI_SOURCE and POSIX_SOURCE if I remember well, which might
>solve the problem. Which one is better for this purpose ?

_POSIX_SOURCE is better because ANSI features are a subset of POSIX
features and most programs require POSIX features and BSD extensions.
Using either is bogus because incorrectly declaring features and
extensions doesn't change them.

Bruce