Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:57:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM <tforrest@mcs.net>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Im confused about CVSup - then again, whats new?

Hi Tommy,

> I understand that it updates the source code.  But what source code?
It only updates the source trees which you tell it to update.  For
example, here is my supfile, and some explanation:

*default umask=077 			#Set source files as rwx------
*default release=cvs 		#Get info from main CVS repository
*default host=cvsup4.freebsd.org #Which server to use
*default tag=RELENG_3 		# Stick with the 3.x stablebranch
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup 	#Place to keep cvsup status files
*default prefix=/usr 	#Tells cvsup where to put the trees
*default delete 	#Lets cvsup delete files
*default use-rel-suffix #Don't recall, just std.
*default compress	# Allows compression during xmission
src-all 		# Specifies to update ALL sources
doc-all			# Specifices to update ALL documents
cvs-crypto		#Specifies to updaet all cryptography

> Does it update the goods in /usr/ports/*?
The above does NOT update the ports tree.  Personally, I run a separate
supfile that does JUST ports.  Others combine the two.  MY supfile is
below for ports.  Note the differet default tag line!!!

*default release=cvs
*default host=cvsup5.freebsd.org
*default tag=.
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default delete
*default use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

>I've never done a make world.
That's ok. Just consider yourslef ahead of the "download game" for the day
you decide to take the plunge :)

>Instead I've added stuff as necessary.
Not sure what you mean here... if you just mean the ports, that seems ok.
But if you're talking about randomly selectig parts of the main source to
update, that sounds a bit dangerous, and like you're aching to have
something broken by it..

>If I use CVSup to update /usr/ports then I need to go into each of
>the app directories under /usr/ports and run make again to have the
>system d/l and install the latest version of software?
>Or does CVSup bring down the software packages?

CVSup does't do any building or installing (at least as far as I'm aware).
All it's supposed to do is compare your sources to the cources in the
repositories, and update your files appropriately (instead of d/loading
complete sources every time). For example, if you have Samba 2.0.5
installed, and you decide that you want Samba2.0.6 instead, cvsup will
help you to get the patches and make files, but you'll have to do the
build and install as you would any other port.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,
John Papalia