Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:50:59 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        eyesonly@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes for small harddisk

Hi Mark,

>>	852 MB should be enough.  Go with a "Custom" installation, and
>>you'll need to be utterly ruthless about not installing unneeded
>>distribution sets.
>

> "Custom" installation scares me a little, as I don't really know what I'm doing yet.
> I will try and read docs and probably start over lots of times (which is fine with me).
> When I really get stuck can always ask again :-)
>
> regards
> Mark

I installed a custom NetBSD version on a 420megabyte harddisk, and
installed numberous FreeBSD installations (from 4.3 if i recall
correctly) on a 1.2gb harddisk. With those two numbers i can figure you
can install a minimum install of FreeBSD on your disk, and add some nice
little features (the 420mb disk was running a firewall,dnsserver and a
passthrough mailserver (With some low end checks that i didn't want to
have on the actual mailserver  behind it). This box also was a Sniffer
in my network for extented period of time, logging everything to a SQL
box behind it (on the management network ofcourse) , it had a lot of
traffic passing through but it managed to work.

So, the install size will be ok i think, your only issue might indeed be
running into steps that might confuse you, reading the docs and asking
us are good options.

Goodluck :)

--
Kind regards,