Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:08:03 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "make buildworld" fails on FreeBSD 4.2

Thanks to all who replied.  One note I got, off-list, sent me to a
very informative web page: http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Anyway, I cleaned up the airflow in the chassis as well as I could,
then tried another build.  It crashed again, but in a (slightly)
different location.  This seems to indicate that the problem is,
indeed, in the hardware.

This machine's motherboard ("ASUS P5A Super 7") has some fancy BIOS
that can monitor temperatures and such.  Does anyone know whether

   (a) this information is available to the running system
   (b) there is a FreeBSD driver to access it

Meanwhile, I'll start looking into finding the exact HW problem...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm
email: rdm@cfcl.com
phone: +1 650-873-7841