Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 22:52:25 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalidating pack messages

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 16:23:11 -0800, Bill Swingle wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've encountered a strange error. I have a quad PII xeon with a built in
> dual channel adaptec XXXX scsi controller. I have two 8gb IBM drives and
> two Toshiba cdrom drives hanging off of it.
>
> It's running -current from yesterday evening, around 7pm PST.
>
> Today I fired up four copies of ripit.pl and let the machine go crazy
> rippingand encoding mp3's. Out of the blue I got this error, without any
> previous errors:
>
> (pass2:ahc0:0:5:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 4 4a 70 0 0 a 0
> (pass2:ahc0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0
> (pass2:ahc0:0:5:0): Logical block address out of range
> #cd/2 invalid sector size 2352
> #cd/2 invalid sector size 2352

This means that whatever program you were using to read the CD tried to
read a block that was past the end of the CD.  I doubt this is related to
the invalidating pack message below, especially since there was a 10 minute
interval between the two.

> Then about 10 minutes later with no other errors inbetween, it barfed
> this several times:
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack

I'm not sure why it would spit that out multiple times.  The "Invalidating
pack" message is issued by the da driver when it gets an ENXIO error from
the error recovery code.  This can happen if the retry count is exhausted
on one of several sense codes (you can search through scsi_all.c for ENXIO)
or if the retry count is exhaused on selection timeouts.

For selection timeouts, we give the device half a second to recover before
retrying the command.  The da driver has 60 second timeouts on read/write
commands, and 4 retries.  So it is able to recover in many cases.

There probably should have been an error message of some sort before that
message, perhaps unless it was a result of a selection timeout.  If you
boot with -v, you'll see more error output, and that might shed some light
on things.

> At which point the machine (obviously) became quite unusable.
>
> Here are the boot messages from the drives/controller:
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> irq 23 at device 9.0 on pci1
> ahc0: aic7896/97 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
> ahc1: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> irq 23 at device 9.1 on pci1
> ahc1: aic7896/97 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

I take it this is an onboard controller?  What kind of motherboard is it?
(Intel or AMI?  I recall any other quad Xeon boards.)

> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <SEAGATE ST39103LC 0002> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da0: 11.626MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da0: 8683MB (17783240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)
> cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6401TA 1009> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 5.813MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 16)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> cd1: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6201TA 1037> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd1: 5.813MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 16)
> cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> da1: <IBM DDRS-39130D DC1B> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da1: 11.626MB/s transfers (5.813MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da1: 8715MB (17850000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1111C)
>
> Thoughts?

Well, first off, all the sync rates seem to be off.  I've seen this before,
but it's most likely a problem for Justin (CCed) to tackle.

Second, you might want to put your LVD devices on one bus, and your single
ended devices on another, so you can get LVD speeds out of the LVD devices.
That is, unless you've got a 3860 bridge on there, so you can run LVD and
SE on the same bus.  (Unlikely, since you've got a 7896.)

Third, make sure you check your cabling and termination.  Remember that LVD
drives don't have terminators, so you have to use a SE device to terminate
the chain on a SE bus, or use the twisty LVD cables with terminator blocks
on the end.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry