Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:12:00 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
To:        Lawrence Farr <lawrence@epcdirect.co.uk>
Cc:        "'Hartmann, O.'" <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontanous reboot on SMP system FBSD 4.4-RC

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:53:22PM +0100, Lawrence Farr wrote:
> >weeks. The reason why the machine
> >gets so often rebooted is because we do very often cvsupdates,=20
> >almost every day.=20
>=20
> Why do you do this to a production machine, and then get surprised when
> it doesn't work???

I do something similar.  I cvsup ports nightly on one machine and rsync the
changes out to the other machines.  I don't see why it should be a problem
unless he's saying he actually does a make world every day..  Although it's
generally a bad idea to have your source tree out of sync with your binaries
and the kernel if you ever want to debug anything (which is why I only cvsup
ports, and source comes whenever I plan to update manually.)

Cheers,
-JD-

--=20
Jason DiCioccio - geniusj@bsd.st - PGP Key @ http://bsd.st/~geniusj/pgpkey.=