Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 16:21:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> >> I'd be willing to put a few hundred bucks a year (say, $500) into a support
> >> contract if it got me what I considered reasonable turn-around times.
> >
> >I had about $600 in mind, but we won't quibble about the $100.. :-)
> >
> >And now the next (and obvious) question - what would you consider to
> >be a reasonable turn-around time? :)
> >
> Depends on what kind of support. If you're trying to appeal to the general
> public then the answer is different than for developers. For $600., I'd want
> to get someone who is likely to know the answer on the phone immediately, if
> its just a question. Bug fixes are more complicated because they can have
> varying levels of difficulty. Many times, you have to fix the bug yourself
> because it only exists in your machine with your MB and your cards. You
> can't expect a support team to have every machine config available...they
> may not be able to duplicate the problem if they try. But what I do need to
> know, immediately, is if other people have had the same problem and if there
> is a fix.....because I don't want to waste time fixing something thats
> already been fixed.
>
> db

I think that's a reasonable way to look at it, yes.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's *Three STAR A* Clarinet feed!