Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:29:23 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Load balancing

The really cute way to do this is with a layer 4 switch ... something like
an alteon @10k odd + so it needs to be a serious solution requirement. The
switch itself has the ip address that is publically accessed and behind it
sits a network with it's on set of ip addresses etc. The switch farms out
the traffic as required in a pretty clever way, including tracking
sessions, having load balancing ruels, making sure the servers are up with
both pings and response checks on port 80 blah blah.

Something a few people do that's also useful is to have the site
set-up/configured on two servers but only running on one with requests
coming in on a virtual interface. If this server goes down you have systems
in place to bring that ip address up on your back up server and things
start to work again with very little down time.

Variations are possible of course ...