Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:36:14 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jonathan Belson" <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] FreeBSD 4.0 and Xircom ethernet cards?

> From: "Jonathan Belson" <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 00:07:37 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hiya
>

> Has anyone managed to get Scott Mitchell's Xircom driver to work under
> 4.0-RELEASE?
> I tried the latest archive from his website (1.20 dated last year some time)
> but it wouldn't
> compile - it worked nicely under 3.4 though.

The problem is not just the driver, but the underlying structures
for PCCARD and driver support which changed with V4.0. The Xircom
(Dingo) driver does not and will not work in 4.0-Release. It has
worked in 4.0-Stable for about a month or two due to modifications to
both the driver and to other system components.

If you can't cvsup to STABLE, you will probably have to wait two weeks
until 4.1-Release is available and install that. (Jordan had posted
that July 15 is the target date for 4.1 and I am seeing MFCs starting
to hit as code is moved from CURRENT prior to STABLE rot release, so
it should be close to on time.)

FWIW, my Xircom has run just fine since the modifications to STABLE,
but it puts out TONS of debug messages that drove me nuts, so I edited
if_xe.c to $undef XE_DEBUG after the line where it is defined as
#define XE_DEBUG 2
in /sys/dev/xe/if_xe.c.

That quiets it down to where I'd like it to be, but you might want to
wait to do this until you know it's running correctly.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)