Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:25:47 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Neil Long <neil@cymru.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update housekeeping?

On Fri 2011-02-25 17:26:52 UTC+0000, Neil Long (neil@cymru.com) wrote:

> Just noticed how large /var/db/freebsd-update has grown on a box I
> just upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4 (but I can't recall when I started
> using it).
>
> Is there a recommended approach or just rm the directory if I have
> no need to roll it back?

Before I upgraded to 7.4-REL I used rm -rf /var/db/freebsd-update/ as
my /var is "only" 1 GB and was running low on free space.  Doing this
should be no different to a fresh install where this directory is
initially empty anyway.

Of course if you're still wary you could make a tarball backup of that
directory somewhere else before emptying it out.

IIRC, freebsd-update will complain if /var/db/freebsd-update/ doesn't
exist, so you may need to mkdir it after using rm -rf.

Regards
Andrew