Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:50:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reaping error(1)

Is error(1) actually useful thesedays? From a look at the source and the
docs, it seems like it was only ever relevant to whatever toolchain
4.xBSD used and has never been updated for the GNU toolchain:

     Error knows about the error messages produced by: make(1), cc(1),
cpp(1), ccom(1), as(1), ld(1), lint(1), pi(1), pc(1), f77(1), and DEC
Western Research Modula-2. Error knows a standard format for error
messages produced by the language processors, so is sensitive to changes
in these formats.  For all languages except Pascal, error messages are
restricted to be on one line.  Some error messages refer to more than one
line in more than one files; error will duplicate the error message and
insert it at all of the places referenced.

Is there any productive reason to keep it in our tree? If you have to look
up what it does, then I dare say you don't need it :-)

I'd also like to rip out fsplit into ports (the code is disgusting and
was probably written by a FORTRAN programmer and/or using f2c :) but then
I'd draw fire from the "people who know someone who uses FORTRAN" crowd.

Kris