Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2016 20:18:25 -0500
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok How do I boot this monster?

On 11/17/16 18:49, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:
>
>> I would recommend just using gpart(8) to install the correct bootcode
>> (/boot/gptzfsboot) as Warren suggested. The trouble, though, is
>> that---unless I'm mistaken---that bootcode requires a dedicated
>> partition.
>
> It does, but there was a freebsd-boot partition on each of the ZFS
> disks.  512K, even, so more than large enough for the current version
> of gptzfsboot.

bsdinstall put those freebsd-boot partitions there

>> Configuring the system to boot would require 128k partitions
>> to be created at the start of each disk to hold the bootcode, and that
>> would mean either manually partitioning the drives (which is the typical
>> way of installing to a custom ZFS setup) or writing more code into your
>> custom bsdinstall.
>
> We might have been looking at different disks in that gpart output.
> Incidentally, while the boot partition is usually first, I'm fairly
> sure that it does not have to be first and can be in any position.

bsdinstall created all the partitions on the four drives exactly all the
same.  I tried booting to each of them using the "at boot hit the F8
key" ( which brings up a menu of drives to boot from ) and they all
booted to the zfs raid system.   There was a message saying something
about an lba problem but I don't remember what it said. Yes I am too old
to remember and I have CRS ( Can't Remember Shit ).  When I reboot the
machine ( can't do that now... it's busy ) I will try to write the
message down.