Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 08:57:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Jonathan Clark <jc@crack.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 game ABUSE, currently only available for Linux because , a lack of hardware resources... can someone help ?

Hi Jonathan !

I'll write Jordan Hubbard a Cc: of this thread, so he can decide,
whether it's worth for the FreeBSD project,

	- to stress test the Linux Emulator
	- to give you a machine for porting a nice X11 game to
	  FreeBSD
	- to tell you someone near you, who could give you a machine
	  or an external Harddisk with FreeBSD on it for porting
	  purposes ...

I personally would find it great, that grafic animated games are
not only offered for the Linux market ... Since many folks are
attracted by such things ... ;-)

Perhaps you can reply to this mail into the FreeBSD-hackers mailinglist
by giving the URL where the screen snapshots of the game reside, I have
forgotten the URL (@$&%!) and what the game is about.

Thanks

	Andreas ///

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Jonathan Clark wrote:

> > >   There is a linux emulator for free BSD.  I'm told ABUSE will run
> > > under it for FreeBSD and SCO.
> >
> > Hi Jonathan !
> >
> > Thanks for your information. But I'm not interested in running
> > your game within a Linux emulator. A FreeBSD version would be
> > fine. I think many other *BSD* people would like to see a FreeBSD
> > version, too. Even SimCity is available for FreeBSD under X11.
> > But you can't offer it ?! Bad luck.
> >
> > I really would like to see a FreeBSD version.
>
>   I do not have enough machines to install BSD.  I have a spare 386, but
> no cdrom and not enough disk space.  A port requires up-keep which I cannot
> currently do for BSD.  Besides, linux is better :)  There will not be BSD
> ports of Doom, Abuse, or Quake unless some kind soul donates a pre-installed
> BSD machine which does not seem a likely thing.  All other ports of
> these games have resulted because there was a big market, or the machines
> were donated.  If you think we make big bucks off UNIX ports, think again...

$$ apsfilter - magic print filter 4lpd      @home : andreas@knobel.gun.de
$$ ftp://sunsite.unc.edu                    @work : andreas@sunny.wup.de
$$ /pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz   knobel: >>> powered by FreeBSD <<<