Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 01:12:20 +0000
From:      Paul "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Richards=FC?=" <paul@freebsd-services.co.uk>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BETA evilness Re: BETA induced nervousness

Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > 4.3-PRERELEASE.  Explains exactly what it is, and does so without
> > the negative connotations of -BETA.
>
> After having seen everything else that was proposed and shot down,
> this or something very similar (i.e. "PRE-RELEASE" or "PRE_RELEASE" or
> whatthehellever) is probably the best alternative to "BETA".  I can't
> see any disadvantages to it other than it might still incur some
> hysteria in some newbies, but not nearly as much.  Just my $.01 of
> course.

Given that the process is a rolling one i.e. -stable continues on the
same branch before during and after a release, why bother with beta
versioning at all.

At the moment we do the following

-stable --> -beta --> -stable

                   --> -release

The -beta phase doesn't really mean anything in terms of the repository
or in really in terms of snapshots, it's more of an organisational phase
where we MFC like made and pay a bit more attention to the quality of
-stable.

It doesn't seem like setting the OS version to beta gains us anything,
we might as well do

-stable --> -stable

          --> -release

As far as the project is concerned we pick a time period where we're
preparing to branch off -stable and the usual MFC madness happens and
people take care to stabilise -stable, we fork off a branch when the
release looks good and -stable continues as normal.

To the average -stable tracker nothing happens, to the release team
nothing really changes except they save a bit of work setting the
version.

Paul.