Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:07:25 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011974845.52c106@mired.org>
To:        Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, rene@xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: what is a good language for system administration?

Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl> types:
> Hello Mike,
> Sunday, January 20, 2002, 9:07:03 AM, you wrote:
> MM> Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl> types:
> MM> Actually, I've found Python to be more portable than Java. Java's
> MM> portability is limited by the availability of the Java VM, which isn't
> MM> as portable as the Python VM. I've written Python GUI apps on Unix,
> MM> and they run unmodified on Windows and the Mac.
> Im not that in to Python, so can't say to much about it. Its on my
> list to try, but that may take a wail. I didn't see a platform that didn't have a
> Java VM availble. Than again i didn't see that many. What you say bout
> the Python GUI apps is also true with the Java GUI apps.

I'm aware of that. The problems I've had with Java were all on Unix
platforms. Things like having to install three different VM's to get
Java programs from four different vendors to run. A few clients have
said "we develop for *this* JVM; we don't care if it works on any of
the others." While Java VM's exist for more platforms than Python runs
on, no one Java VM runs on all the platforms that Python runs on. It
may be that things are better now, so that most Java programs aren't
tied to a single JVM. It might also be that for the task at hand -
system administration - the difference between JVM's won't matter.

> MM> Both Java and Python support CORBA for remote work. Python is a bit
> MM> uglier than Perl when it comes to munging strings and external
> MM> commands, but is generally more readable. That it has a REPL and Perl
> MM> doesn't is also nice.
> CORBA is good for (remote) compatibility with other langauges. If you
> wan't remote work from Java to Java you can use RMI or Activation
> (server side based on RMI). Since RMI doesn't have to work with other
> languages it doesn't have the same limits as CORBA.

True. There's a couple of Python-specific remote method invocation
implementations floating around, but I haven't investigated them. I
like the ability to choose the language appropriate for each object
that comes with using CORBA.

	<mike