Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:14:26 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
Cc:        gnome <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hal and cd9660 volume.label

--=-wB2dEgEP/SoPdxc/xYKc

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:11 +0100, barbara wrote:
> I have a question about hal and volume.label.
> If I create an iso image with mkisofs and I burn it to a cd/dvd with cdre=
cord/growisofs, hal mounts it with the label padded to 16 characters.
> This is evident when the icon appears on the desktop with the label not c=
entered but apparently shifted to left.
> For example, if the volume label is TEST, with lshal I see
>     $ lshal | grep TEST
>     udi =3D '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_TEST____________'
>       info.hal_mount.created_mount_point =3D '/media/TEST            '  (=
string)
>       info.product =3D 'TEST            '  (string)
>       info.udi =3D '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_TEST_______=
_____'  (string)
>       volume.mount_point =3D '/media/TEST            '  (string)
>       volume.label =3D 'TEST            '  (string)
>=20
> and hal mounts the image under /media/TEST\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ /
>=20
> This happens with images created and burned on FreeBSD and Linux, however=
 on linux (hal-0.5.10) the label isn't padded.
>=20
> This behavior lead me to think that the problem is with hal on FreeBSD.
> Anyway labels are not padded on media burned with a common commercial app=
lication for Windows.
> So I can't understand if the problem is with hal on FreeBSD and/or mkisof=
s or in the way I'm using them.
>=20
> For reference, the mkisofs command used is
>     $ mkisofs -o TEST.iso -V "TEST" -iso-level 3 -l -r -hide-rr-moved -J =
-joliet-long -graft-points "/=3D./test"

While we are using an older code base of hal currently, I don't see
anything in 0.5.10 on the Linux side that would trim the padding from
the volume label.  The code FreeBSD and Linux are using looks quite
similar.  What version of libvolume_id is the Linux machine using?

Joe

--=20

--=-wB2dEgEP/SoPdxc/xYKc

--=-wB2dEgEP/SoPdxc/xYKc--