Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 18:30:31 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

>> Jordan was probably right about the make process being overly complex
>> for the way things are today.
>
>Uh, I thought we were both talking to Richard Wackerbarth. :-)

Yes, it is too complex. As I have said before, I'm not going to fix the
inherent problem that too many things reference absolute paths. Whenever
the group wakes up and realizes that a change is in order, I'm willing to
help.

At present, I need two "tools" stages. One is to get around the absolute
paths in "make" and the second to actually build the cross compilers, etc.
The third stage is the normal "make all" using the cross compilers. In some
respects, I do not agree that the fourth stage (remaking the system running
under itself) is appropriate. That is certainly a part of the release
testing. However, if the host is a production machine or if the target is
some different machine, you cannot do it anyway.

I'm sure that either Terry or I can give you a "roadmap" of things that
need to be cleaned up in order to make it work.

I actually got things to work with the current mess by creating my "stages"
as symbolic links to imbedded environments to which I did a chroot for each
level.

It is very messy, but it gets by.

If I did not have to handle all of the absolute paths, the structure would
be much simpler because the chroot would become a "cd" and I would not have
to clone the rest of the working environment.