Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gordon@drogon.net (Gordon Henderson)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

> I have a Bizarre set of problems...
>
> Heres the setup: ASUS P120, 128MB RAM, 2 Buslogic 946C controllers each
> with 3 identical 2GB drives. Running FreeBSD 2.1.5R.
>
> Firstly: Boot messages which I find rather odd:
>
> [I've cut some of the verbage]

[I cut more of it :-)]

>   /kernel: bt0: version 4.25J, fast sync, parity, 32 mbxs, 3 2 ccbs
>   /kernel: bt1: version 4.28D, async only, parity, 32 mbxs, 32 ccbs
>
> So - 2 different versions of the Buslogic board, and the most recent one
> doesn't come up in Sync mode.... Any reason why?

Yes, Buslogic made some additional bit settings you have to do to
get the bt946 into sync mode.

> (According to Buslogic,
> that version of board firmware is good and I should use Linux instead of
> FreeBSD -

Would you please give me the persons name at Buslogic who said this,
I want to scream very loudly at them for that one.  After I wasted
100's of hours trying to get the correct information from them to
fix the problem they start pulling this kind of shit has my shirt in
an uproar...  [Okay, Justin, I'll back off, but I want a name, and
if I hear that name again I am going to make some calls!!]

> I did boot Linux on it once while testing it and Linux correctly
> enabled all devices in 10MB/sec sync mode - Why doesn't FreeBSD?)

Because the Linux developer had access to resources that have been
denied up until this point in time.  Justin Gibbs has supposedly
broken down that road and the information needed to fix this and
a pile of other bugs should be forth coming.

> 2nd problem: One of the disks seems to have a fault. Heres the errors
> from the messages file:
>
>   /kernel: sd1(bt0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:272133 asc:11,0
> 	 Unrecovered read error
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ARRE can _NOT_ correct an UNRECOVERED read error, as that would mean
data loss.  ARRE and AWRE can only do thier trick if no data would
be lost.

> So the disk controller is supposed to automagically re-allocate bad blocks
> - if thats the case, why am I seeing faults and why is it crashing the
> machine?

the disk DRIVE is suppose to automagically re-allocate bad blocks, if
and only if, no data would be lost.  If it can't read the old block at
all (trying all methods of data recovery such as retries, head offsetting,
etc) it has no choise but to return an error to the OS.  You can try 4
or 5 times doing this and see if by chance enough forced retries can
read the block a recovery would happen:
dd if=/dev/rsdX of=/dev/null bs=32768

BACKUPS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED BEFORE DOING THIS!
If that fails you are going to have to run a low level verify operation
and tell it to remap the block that it could not read, then run fsck
and hope to hell it was just a file system block and not meta data.