Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:12:39 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Subject:   Re: Bus resets.  Grrrr.

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> > What makes you think these are `recoverable'?
>
> The disks recover.

Well, sorta.  After a bus reset.  That's close to powering them off...

> Interesting.  The tape in question is a
> Conner^H^H^H^H^H^HArchive^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSeagate changer--see the dmesg
> output below for more info.  But that doesn't seem to be the problem:
> it's always the Micropolis disk which has the timeout.

Can you move one of them to the other SCSI bus?

> My question (which you omitted): does this have to be fatal for the
> tape?

Sure.  The bus didn't accept any command.  The bus reset is a (hmm,
how does the SCSI standard call this?), at least a hardware thing.
You're asserting it as a signal on the entire bus.  Naturally, this
aborts all operations.

I gotta leave more detailed explanations to Justin, it's beyond my
point of wisdom then.

--
cheers, J"org