Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 14:35:32 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Super Micro P6DOF (was Re: Supermicro SMP boards?)

Hi,

> You wrote:
>
> >there is no "ExtInt" in the table so 'SMP_TIMER_NC' is indeed impossible.
> >You evidently have an AMI BIOS on this board, which is doing things
> >differently
> >than previous Supermicro mptables I've seen.
> >Unless this box has NO PCI cards in it, this is a "pre appendix D.3"
> >BIOS.
> >
> >does the BIOS have an MP spec version 1.4 setting?
> >
> >are there any PCI cards in this box?
>
> The system has an AMI bios.  It does not have an MP spec 1.4 setting,
> it only has a 1.1 setting.  I think disabling the 1.1 setting makes it
> use an even earlier spec.
>
> It has all PCI cards---adaptec 2940UW disk controller, Number 9 GX-64
> video and SMC 10/100 tulip-based ethernet.

This is then pre appendix D, and thus a problem (tho not necessarily the
cause of your random locks) as it prevents efficient usage of the IO APIC.
I would suggest seeing if you can get a BIOS upgrade from supermicro.

For the random locks, try slowing down the memory accesses in the BIOS.  this
has the smell of a hardware problem of some sort.

---
I don't seem to have any recent mptables for the supermicro series (thought
I did, but I must have lost them somewhere...)  Could any user's of SMP
and supermicros send an 'mptable -dmesg >outfile" to me.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by