Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 21:11:47 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Redirects and expire times

I don't have a lot of detailed experience with redirects, so I'm
kind of flying without a net (so to speak :-}):

> From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> Date: 1999-05-18 21:03:23 -0700
> To: Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@home.com>
> Subject: Re: Redirects and expire times
> Jonathan Hanna wrote:
> >
> > What is the proper way of handling ICMP redirects? I expected
> > host routes to be added with an expire time, but apparently
> > they are permanent.
> >
> > I found one old reference to this, but no reply.
> >
> > > Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:09:15 -0600 (CST)
> > > From:      Scott Mace <smace@metal.neosoft.com>
> > > To:        hackers@freebsd.org
> > > Subject:   Redirects and expire times...
> > >
> > > I think it is a bug to add a host route after receiving a ICMP
redirect
> > > and NOT having any expire set on the route.  If you have a
default routed
> > > host in a complex topology you can get into trouble when the
topology changes.

> I agree.  At Xylan, we had numerous customer complaints about redirects
> filling the routing table and the only way to clear them (4.2 BSD based
> stack) was to reboot the switch.  We added a 10-minute timeout on all
> redirect routes, figuring that redirects SHOULD be the exception rather
> than the rule.  YMMV.  We've had no customer complaints since
then.  ;^)
  Seems to me that redirects would be used for a variety of reasons:
(1) bad configuration; (2) multiple subnets on a single "wire" [so a
router *might* want to use redirects to avoid duplicating traffic on
the wire]; and mobility.

If so, none of these seem to be especially "exceptions", but more
like "rules".

Regards,

Justin

--