Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:19:02 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Langford <langfod@maui.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FD_SETSIZE

David Langford wrote:

> Okay so the real question still looms. What do we need to change in the
> the 3.0+ systems so that a single process can have, say, two thousand files
> open at once.

maxusers, I think is the only way. Use `files = 40 + 32 * maxusers',
you'll need maxusers at 62 to allow 2000 open files.

I think this sets the absolute system maximum limit: login.conf can be
used to control it for different classes if needed. sysctl can also
reduce limits, but I'm pretty sure it can't take them above the limit
determined from the maxusers setting.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk