Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:17:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Greg=20Quinlan?= <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallion Easy I/O PCI not so easy!

Thanks anyway...

I'll take that as a NO!

I am entirely familiar with the processes of getting a
normal Stallion card working in FreeBSD, but this is a
PCI smart card. After combing the documentation I have
not found any definative answers.

It is detected in the BIOS PCI card list, but it is
not automatically detected in FreeBSD as the
documentation claims would occur. No entry is required
in the kernel configuration file. (tried putting an
entry in)
(/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/mykernel)

I always read all appropriate documentation before I
ever ask for help.

Being a smart card, it must should not require a
stlload. The Major device number should be 72.
The device files were created, getty's were enabled
but nothing.

I have successfully installed other intellegent
Stalion serial cards .... but on this occassion it
looks like I will have to put it in the too hard box,
and use some other hardware.

I have noted that the device driver version is still
0.0.5 Beta in the current FreeBSD 3.4 Release and yet
the current driver version is 2.0.0 Release. What is a
pitty is the original developer greg@stallion.com is
not available for the smallest clue either. It is also
a pitty that the 3 boards I have are worth around $700
ea, an outlay of $2100..

I hate to say it but it works for every other OS
including Linux (and MickeySoft), but not FreeBSD. :(

Thanks anyway

Greg

--- "Crist J. Clark"