Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:42:41 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 01:10:37PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > If you want to fault the FreeBSD team for debugging on their customers
> > platforms - then you've got to fault the entire industry. Everyone
> > does it - because there isn't any way you can replicate *every* system
> > that users are going to try and run your product on. Wise users have
> > been avoiding .0 releases for production systems since - well, longer
> > than I've been in the game. It's part of life in the software world,
> > at least until that world undergoes some *radical* changes.
>
> Thank you, that's essentially what I've been trying to say in a far
> less succinct fashion for the last 2 or 3 rounds.

Just saw WDRCcomputerclub in TV reporting about CeBit in Hannover.
Concerning M$ Release software (win 98)....

A Sales person from Epson wanted to demonstrate people the new
Epson 900, print speed 12 pages/minute....

Well you saw him for about three minutes fighting with his notebook...
Nothing happened. "Well it's not the printer" .... pause ... "It's
an error message from Win98" .... "Well, here you see, also professionals
have to struggle with Win98" .... Reporter "possibly the next time you
connect your printer to Linux or BeOS ?" .... after about 3 minutes they
got it managed to print the application that "core dumped" so heavily under
Win98....

Well that's release software you have to pay for ... ;-)
M$ was a victim of their own in a presentation ... Now on TV
from the CeBit ... well and Win98 is already out for some (many)
months ....

I think we don't have any reason to complain about stability and
such using FreeBSD (*BSD) or Linux....

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas