Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:25:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
Subject:   Re: Problem with link-local addresses on USB interfaces

On 8/28/2010 3:08 PM, Bernd Walter wrote:
> Only the PCI and loopback interface responds to their own link local
> address.
>
> I'm also puzzled about what I need to configure on an interface
> to get an link-local address.
> I've finally put ifconfig_ue0/1="UP" into rc.conf.

You haven't said what version of FreeBSD you're using, but I'm assuming
-current. The security officer asked to have the default changed so that
link-local addresses are not accessible by default. I implemented a
version of this such that the interface comes up with "ifdisabled" by
default, which prevents all IPv6 traffic, but does not prevent you from
configuring the interface.

You can read in the ifconfig man page how to clear that flag, which will
allow traffic to flow. There are also examples in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
that demonstrate how to set up an ifconfig line to do nothing but
establish a link-local if that's how you want the interface to be
configured.

hth,

Doug