Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:11:30 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reproducable system hangs in -STABLE

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:58:58PM -0800, Doug White wrote:

> I think I've seen this appear before for non-priority problems too though
> ... hm ...
>
> > > This is the classic priority inversion problem. How are you starting your
> > > dnetc's?
>
> > They are starting at boot time from the script that the port installs
> > into /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
> Make sure you are NOT nice(1)ing dnetc OR xmms.  nice -20 or idprio'ing
> dnetc will cause an instant lockup.

I'm not nicing the processes manually at all.  The script gives dnetc
a nice value of 20.

> What happens if you run only one dnetc?

Hmm, evidentally you didn't see or don't remember my original post.  I
can only reproduce this lockup ONE way.  I need to have 2 dnetc's
running, and one xmms.  I can't reproduce it using setiathome instead
of dnetc, or mpg123 instead of xmms.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, as I don't NEED two dnetc's running, so the
workaround is simple and painless.  I was just hoping to get some
light shed on the situation.

Josh