Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 2015 21:55:44 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        John Holland <jholland@vin-dit.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: denyhosts/pfctl to block repeated logins?

On Sat 2015-06-20 07:34:50 UTC-0400, John Holland (jholland@vin-dit.org) wrote:

> What is the best tool to use to block repeated login attempts from
> unauthorized hosts?  And for deny hosts, how you unblock someone who
> is legitimate?

"Best tool" is difficult to answer since it depends on your exact
requirements.

Also once an admin finds an IP blocker that works for them, they may
tend to stick with it rather than try all the alternatives.

For blocking unsuccessful ssh logins, sshguard-ipfw works for me.

http://www.sshguard.net/docs/faqs/