Date:      Mon, 15 May 2023 15:09:53 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jos=C3=A9_P=C3=A9rez?= <fbl@aoek.com>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 20230504 -CURRENT snapshot panics during install at zfs probing

El 2023-05-05 13:31, Rebecca Cran escribió:
> I also tried FreeBSD 13.2 and it's unhappy too, and ends up panicing
> and rebooting when trying to restart the installer after it segfaults.
> So it's apparently _not_ a new problem.
>
> I'm guessing there's something about my disks that's causing memory
> corruption. The only thing that's changed recently is installing
> Windows Server 2022 on a different disk.
>
> If I disable the mrsas controller, installation proceeds.
>

> --
> Rebecca Cran
>

> On 5/4/23 19:02, Rebecca Cran wrote:
>> I'm seeing a panic during install during the zfs probing on the
>> 14-CURRENT 20230504 amd64 snapshot on a PowerEdge R7525 dual-EPYC
>> system.
>>
>> I haven't submitted a bug report for a while, so let me know what
>> other information is needed.
>>

>> Unfortunately the stack backtrace looks useless:

Hi,
I recall exepriencing a similar issue with a SuperMicro server and I
think I worked this around by adding hw.mfi.mrsas_enable="1" to
/boot/device.hints in order to have FreeBSD booting from the SAS disks.

Unfortunately I do not have access to that hardware anymore (it is
running AnotherOS and cannot be taken out of production).

I still recommend you do open a bug with the details you have so far,
having FreeBSD on server with SAS disks is not a sin ;) and software
causing memory corruption shall be fixed anyways.

--
José Pérez