Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:23:11 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi@oav.net>
Cc:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>, FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Current unassigned ports problem reports

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:43:46PM +0200, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
> I totaly agree with you... I had submitted a port and it was never
> commited in the tree... This was make me, at the begining an bit nervous,
> angry and now I don't care.. I have made my parallel tree for it... And
> I'm waiting... maybe for 10.0-RELEASE some of my ports maybe will be
> integrated...
>
> The only think I'd like to know as port submitter is : why on hell this
> that take 9 months to look at a port ?

First of all, this is a volunteer project. You can not make anyone do
something they don't want. Second, people typically have other things
they need to prioritize (sleep, job, girlfriends, friends, socialize,
etc.). Third, if none of the committers have an interest in that
particular PR, well what do you suggest we do?

I know it can be frustrating to not have your PRs looked at, I've been
there myself. But anyway, a friendly "can someone look at this", "this
port with software foo can really make a difference because x y z and
q!" or "i tested this port - it rocks - please commit it!" is much more
constructive than "why on hell this..". Committers need motivation too,
and ranting over PRs getting older may be demotivating.

>> Perhaps another CVS tree (/usr/testports?), where non-committers can test the
>> submitted ports and provide feedback?
> Maybe this should be a good idea....

What is wrong with testing ports and adding feedback to their PRs in the
FreeBSD GNATS database? Many committers have a stroll through open PRs
now and then (myself included), and if users have been testing/asking
for something to be committed, I would expect the PRs in question to
have a better chance of getting committed.

Regards,

--
Anders.