Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:35:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@pollux.GEL.USherb.CA>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>, questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poscript on an Brother HL760 ?

> > I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any luck getting postcript
> > output working on a Brother HL-760 printer.
>
> The short answer: don't bother.

Just to let you know that I set up my HP LasetJet III (with a PacificPage
PostScript emulation cartridge)

My /etc/printcap entry is as follow:

#
lp|local line printer|HP3 Postscript|hp3p:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:

#

And the /usr/local/libexec/psif file is just as the handbook entry:

#!/bin/sh
#
#  psif - Print PostScript or plain text on a PostScript printer
#  Script version; NOT the version that comes with lprps
#  Installed in /usr/local/libexec/psif
#
read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ]; then
   #
   #  PostScript job, print it.
   #
   echo $first_line && cat && printf "\004" && exit 0
   exit 2
else
   #
   #  Plain text, convert it, then print it.
   #
   ( echo $first_line; cat ) | /usr/local/bin/a2ps && printf "\004" &&
exit 0
   exit 2
fi

I do not use ghostscript nor apsfilter and the printing is excellent.  As
you mentioned, the printing is slower than PCL5 but faster than using
ghostscript...

Alex.