Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:07:23 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
Subject:   Getting /dev/smb* to work.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:01:15AM +0200, Dan Larsson wrote:
> While trying to get hardware monitoring to work on my computer I
> found the below procedure to enable the smbus device.
> It didn't get me any closer to actually monitoring the hardware with
> xbmon, lmmon or healthd. But the device is there.

I'd like to add to this. uname is:
FreeBSD triage.dollah.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Sun Aug 25 11:23:33 BST 2002     root@triage.dollah.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/TRIAGE  i386

Box in question is a Sony Vaio PCG-Z600HEK.  dmesg looks like this:-

pcib0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
intpm0: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x1040-0x104f irq 9 at device 7.3 on pci0
intpm0: I/O mapped 1040
intpm0: intr IRQ 9 enabled revision 0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on intsmb0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
intpm0: PM I/O mapped 8000

With kernel config:
[..]
device intpm
device apm0
device smbus
device smb
device iic
device iicbus
device iicsmb
device iicbb
[..]

This supports APM just fine, but SMB goes nowhere. Any clues? When ktracing
processws which use /dev/smb0, it seems that the ioctls simply don't
get handled. I assume this is because something somewhere didn't attach.
From the above dmesg output I'd infer that nothing's being seen on the smbus.

I've also tried this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~nsouch/download/iic-stable.diffs
But it didn't help much (after fixing it up for the current -STABLE).

BMS