Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 21:55:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect install

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> However I never heard anything more from you on that, so I just
> assumed that you had it working.

Actually, it is more like "Gee, this thing takes up 70 megabytes, is
being a pain in the ass and I've got too many other things to do".
However, I'm still interested in getting it working.  It now sits on a
tape though.

> Does the license manager actually start and run?  (You may not need the

You definately do need the license server running.  The licence server
start up, then starts a module supplied by WordPerfect which actually
regulates the use (through the license manager). When you fire up
wordperfect, it contacts the license server which contacts the wordperfect
licence module which either approves or denies the request.

The problem is that the wordperfect license module fails to get going.
It goes like this where (lmgrd) is the license server and (wplmd60) is
the wordperfect module:

 1/08 20:45:47 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...
 1/08 20:45:47 (lmgrd) Started wplmd60
 1/08 20:45:48 (wplmd60) Not logging IN messages
 1/08 20:45:48 (wplmd60) Not logging OUT messages
 1/08 20:45:48 (wplmd60) Vendor daemon can't talk to lmgrd (invalid
      returned data  from license server) port 7685.
 1/08 20:45:48 (lmgrd) Vendor daemon died with status 244
 1/08 20:45:48 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, lmgrd will
 1/08 20:45:48 (lmgrd) attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
 1/08 20:45:48 (lmgrd) REStarted wplmd60 (internet tcp_port 1028)

(and this repeats in an endless loop)

If I get the time, I'll go bug Novell (or whoever owns wordperfect at the
time).  I do have the error return code from the wp license module.  Maybe
they can tell me what would cause that.  I have a feeling it could be a
pretty difficult thing to debug.  The fact that WP is now sitting on a
tape makes it even more difficult.  ;)

Also, with respect to the SCO uname(2), since it only allows 8 characters
for the hostname, maybe it should truncate the name at the first period
(.)?  I can only make the license manager get this far by setting my
hostname to *exactly* eight characters.

> for.)  Do you still have the URL for the license manager vendor that you
> posted a while back?

That would be http://www.globetrotter.com/

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============