Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:30:52 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does vbox have support for cd-rom or usb in winxp guest?

> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:19:10 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
>
> The 2 most recent versions of vbox have been stable enough for me to
> start using them for real work, so congrats to those working on the
> port! So naturally, now I want more. :)
>
> Specifically I'm curious about cd-rom and usb support. When I start
> the gui and go to settings for my existing winxp guest my cd-rom drive
> is not available on the spinner for "Host CD/DVD Drive." Is that
> expected? Is there something I need to do differently to make that
> available?
>
> I'm also curious about access to USB devices. I don't even see options
> for that, so is it just not possible?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>
> --
>
>     This .signature sanitized for your protection

Doug,

I am NOT involved with VirtualBox porting, but I suggest that you see
the VB wiki page <http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox>. It is kept pretty
current.

It does have information on making the CD/DVD work. (Mostly protection
issues.) It also lists the last two features  not yet supported by the
port...USB and OpenGL. :-(  I really need USB, as well, as I need to
sync my phone (Treo) regularly to our calendar.

Other than the USB, everything seems to work great for a Windows 7
guest. I just need a bit more memory so I don't spend so much time
paging.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)