Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 00:57:02 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.0.5-RELEASE installation

I'm engaged in a little guessing game with the "user-friendly"
installation procedure for 2.0.5-RELEASE. I'm doing an installation
from my DOS partition.  The installation program says at one point
"Failed to load the ROOT distribution. Please correct this problem and
try again."

The first 60 megs of my disk is my DOS partition. The next 32 megs are
FreeBSD's swap space. The remaining 233 megs is the / partition (I
prefer to have / and /usr in the same file system) and is to be
newfs'd.

I've placed the bin.?? files in c:\freebsd\bin and root.flp is in
c:\freebsd\floppies. I have used rawrite3.exe to write root.flp on a
1.2M floppy (my A: is a 1.2M). I've tried to get the installation
program to read this floppy; that doesn't seem to be the answer.  I've
put the file on a 1.44M DOS disk in B: and told the program to look on
fd1; that didn't work.

The problem is that I only see that there is an error but I don't see
how it happens and I don't know what the program expects.  Before
version 2.0, the installation procedure was less "user-friendly" and
not menu-oriented and I had much less problems...

Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@cs.mcgill.ca> [Montreal]