Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:17:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Thomas Zenker <thz@Lennartz-electronic.de>
Cc:        <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet problem

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Thomas Zenker wrote:

> Ok, I tried this.
>
> After doing some test, I decided, this can not be done with a quick
> test, (because of contradictory results) so did a serie of tests.
> It depends also on the transfer size (per connection). This is
> obviously caused by the slowstart alghorithm.

Wow!  Your benchmarks contain quite a bit of useful data, and confirmed my
suspicion that we should change the local slowstart flightsize to
something a bit more reasonable.

Also, incidently, you seem to have shown what's suggested in one of the
newer rfcs - a slowstart flightsize of 1 is too small for optimal
performance (they suggest something more like 4.)

I think I'll go ahead and drop the local slowstart flightsize to 4 - we'll
have to do some investigation later to see if raising the remote slowstart
flightsize from 1 to 4 is a good idea.

Once again, thanks for the high quality testing!

Mike "Silby" Silbersack