Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:32:42 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Safe (but quick) GCC settings on a PC64 with 5.3?

--nextPart1732427.TU33l7dpZO

On Monday 13 December 2004 14:53, David O'Brien wrote:

> I would use "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing" otherwise there can be problems
> with ports.

Thanks for the tip.  Would that apply to world and kernel as well?  I tried=
=20
building the OpenSSL library without "-fno-strict-aliasing" and got a few=20
type-punning warnings, but it seemed to run correctly.

The GCC manual says that flag disables some optimizations.  Using "openssl=
=20
speed" as a rough benchmark didn't show a statistically significant=20
difference between using it or not; is anyone aware of any circumstances=20
where using it needlessly would invoke a significant penalty?

By the way, my initial benchmark showed about a 50% speed increase in=20
OpenSSL by using "-O2" instead of "-O".  Assuming everything continues to=20
work correctly, I'm very pleased about how this is turning out.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser