Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:32:50 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE hanging problem with ibm thinkpad laptop

On 2001.11.03 23:08 Jason Hunt wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad 560E laptop.  I was running a 4.4-STABLE from
> September, and it was great.  I cvsup'd to 4.4-STABLE on November 3rd,
> and
> now when I reboot or shutdown, it kills daemons, synch's disks, and
> shows
> the uptime.  Normally it would either reboot or turn the machine off,
> or
> tell you to press and key to reboot and you can turn it off manually.
> Instead, it hangs and I have to hard-reboot the machine.  Any help?
> The
> generic kernel did this as well.

Actually, the behavior you have now is 90% of what is supposed to
happen.  Something was wrong if you weren't seeing the daemons get
killed, syncing of disks, etc.  It looks like the problem is that
you're getting a shutdown even when you want a reboot.  Well, the
laptop types should be able to suggest some kernel options that might
get you somewhere there, but it sounds like cycling power at the end of
the "shutdown" will get you most of what  you want.  Obviously, since I
don't have a laptop running FreeBSD, your mileage may vary . . . --
jmc                               ||   MacroHard --                    \