Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 00:40:48 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>
To:        "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@castor.GEL.USherb.CA>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applixware hangs

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Alex.Boisvert wrote:

> Hello hackers -
>
> I bought (RedHat's) Applixware application suite a month ago and I still
> can't use it.
>
> Here's the problem description:
>
> 1-Mount the applix cdrom
> 2-Run /cdrom/unpacked/applix  to start the application
> 3-Wait about 20 seconds to load from CDROM
> 4-A window pops without any content.
> 5-FreeBSD freezes to death.  (No telnet, no ping, nothing, no CTRL-ALT-DEL)
>
> Here's what I tried:
>
> 1- FreeBSD 2.2 ALPHA,
>    or FreeBSD 2.2.1 "stock kernel"
> 2- root / non-root (regular user)
> 3- from cdrom / directly off hard disk
> 4- Linux emulation is ON, I can run Linux DOOM and others.
> 5- Tried both linuxlib-2.3 and linuxlib-2.4
> 6- XFree 3.2 and XFree 3.1.x (S3 Server and SVGA Server, 8 ppt or 16 ppt)
> 7- On the same system, running RedHat Linux, Applixware runs fine...
>
> ANYBODY can help?  Suggestions?
>
> Alex .

Hello,

The system hangs due to the libc version in the /compat/linux/lib

Solution: change to a set of new libc (from the redhat cdrom) by
doing a:

tar cf - lib* | tar --unlink -xvf - -C /compat/linux/lib
on the /lib and /usr/lib directory in the redhat cdrom.

Should work.

By the way, Is there a way to make applix words accept accent characters?

I program my X server to accept accent chars as:

' + a -> á  (a acute)
' + e -> é  (e acute)
^ + e -> ê  (e circumflex).... and so on.

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult.