Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:59:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: multiple cpus on an 8200...

On 19-Jul-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I got multiple CPUs to appear to be available on an 8200...
>
> 1. I had to fake past the 'processor available' bit- it wasn't set for the
> second CPU even though SRM said it was present and availabele...

Yuck.

> 2. I came up, and it released it:
>
> release_aps: releasing secondary CPUs
> SMP: AP CPU #9 Launched!
>
> and I got to a login prompt... but very strangely the system locks up briefly
> and then runs okay again. It's quite bizaare. One has to wonder whether or
> not
> there are some implicit assumptions in the code in places about CPUId.
>
> It also might in fact be an efficiency issue. We're using PAL calls for
> interprocessor interrupts. That *might* be less efficient than using some h/w
> specific mechanisms for IPIs. Oh- actually, now that I think about it- I
> might
> not have enabled IPIs for the CPUs, which means, heh, that IPIs might only be
> sampled. Yick... I'll go check...

If IPI's are sampled, then that would explain the hang, as the vm system uses
rendezvous to invalidate mappings, and in a rendezvous we wait for all CPU's to
ack the rendezvous before performing the action and returning.  I assume you
mean enabling IPI's in a hardware specific sense in SRM or some such?

PGP Key: http://www.Baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc