Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:26:05 +0300 (AST)
From:      root@isis.dynip.com
To:        Gary@EdisonInfo.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports?

On 12 Mar, Gary S. Mackay wrote:
> web server. I selected the apache.xxx port and watched it install
> something, but it doesn't seem to be running.

One Question here, are you running it from inetd or standalone.
I am running it from /etc/inetd.con and working great.

Did you edit its configuration files in /etc/apache or /etc/local/apache
at least 2 or 3 files must be OK before it running ok.
If you want I'll send you you my config files

>I don't see anything that
> looks like it in "ps aux"

try ps -aux | grep httpd  --> if running stand alone httpd
try ps -aux | grep inetd ---> if running from inetd, then
cat /etc/inetd | grep http to see the line invokin it.

P.S.: it is worth noting that running TCPWRAPPERS is great security
thing, allows you to get IP, hostnames of people getting to your WEB.

>nor can I browse to it from my WinXX boxes. I

Don't know about that ??

> found the /usr/ports/www/... series of directories, but everytime I
> launch the make command, it tries to go to the web and download stuff.
> Don't I have what I need on the CD? (I purchased it from LinuxMall for
> $1.89, big spender!)

Ha Ha, Wait, do you have something like;

/usr/ports/distfiles
or
/ports/distfiles
or
/distfiles
on this VERY EXPENSIVE CD :-)

if so; go to /usr/ports
then do the following (assuming you mount your CD drive as /mnt/cdrom)

ln -s /mnt/cdrom/distfiles /usr/ports/distfiles

This will prevent the ftp/http seeking CUZ the ports mechanism defaults
to search in this /usr/ports/distfiles direcotry FIRSTR, if doesnot
exist or file not found there, will try to go to a series of KNOWN URLs
to fetch it using the GREAT utility 'fetch'

the PORTS mechanism works as follows:

1. make fetch --> brings the file to your local machine (if not
available), or just checks its there (e.g. on CDROM symlinked there)

2. make ---> will build the port
	(includes: check MD5 checksum, configuration, build
	dependencies and installs them as necessary, compile, and
	finally link the port)

3. make install --> obviously installs the port, and registers the
installation in /var/db/pkg

4. make package --> gets the COMPILED files, and put them in TAR.GZ
format, in /usr/ports/packages
these can be themselves installed later with pkg_add command

Further reading:

1. FreeBSD Handbook /usr/share/doc/handbook
2. FreeBSD FAQ      /usr/share/doc/FAQ
3. Greg Lehey's Complete FreeBSD manual
	(DONT ASK FOR IT ON MAIL LISTS, it is copyright)
	can be puchased on the Walnut Creek CD ROM, but heck you'll pay
	again, STINGY.

Thanks
--
- MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.                                ~o  .^.