Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:06:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAMESERVER Setup Problems

On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 07:27:39PM -0700, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> I am setting up a secondary nameserver for my domain (acroal.com) the
> secondary name server is on a sco machine, but that is immaterial.
> The problem is that under freebsd (which runs the primary nameserver for
> my domain i get a "Query refused message when attempting to list the whole
> domain (get the zone file)"
>
> example:
>
>> nslookup - 209.76.130.130
> Default Server: shellx.acroal.com
> Address: 209.76.130.130
>
>> ls acroal.com
> [shellx.acroal.com]
> *** Can't list domain acroal.com: Query refused

Aha.  That makes more sense.

> that is the problem -- how do I allow a query at least for the secondary
> servers

Well, I can't be sure, but while prodding around, I saw at least two
configuration errors, one of which might be causing your problem.

1.  Your name server RR points to a CNAME.  This is a no-no (though
    don't ask me why), and it causes requests to be refused.  Give it
    an IP address instead.

    > 209.76.130.130
    Server:  shellx.acroal.com
    Address:  209.76.130.130

2.  You don't have any reverse mapping installed:

    > 209.76.130.130
    Server:  shellx.acroal.com
    Address:  209.76.130.130

    *** shellx.acroal.com can't find 209.76.130.130: Non-existent host/domain

Fix those first, and see if that fixes your problem.  Please let me
know either way.

Greg