Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:45:52 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp snag |****|

On Tue, Jul 29, 1997 at 09:50:41PM -0600, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > To let ftp appear as usual (or as it always has been), could
> > one make the default that this "progress bar schnick-schnack" a la
> > Microsoft would not come up, please?
> >
> > ftp> put ppp-2.2pl0-freebsd.tar.gz
> > 200 PORT command successful.
> > 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'ppp-2.2pl0-freebsd.tar.gz'.
> > 100% |**************************************************|  574 KB 0 0:00 ETA
> > 226 Transfer complete.
> > 588119 bytes sent in 1.05 seconds (547.07 KB/s)
>
> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Jay D. Nelson wrote:
> > Use the distributed ftp instead of ncftp.
>
> Actually, that is the distributed ftp with 3.0
>
> Frankly, I love it.  Its not all in-your-face like ncftp, but it gives you
> a lot of the features.  Most are not enabled by default, but the progress
> bar is enabled by default.  If you dont like it, just turn it off (type:
> progress).  There are a lot of other NICE features.  As is a common
> response in this list: RTFM :)  I.e: man ftp

I in turn don't love it.  It's creeping uncontrolled featurism.

Actually my point was not so much to get the information of how *I*
could switch that feature off. I would have found that easily
by rtfm'ing. The point was that one of the most common
unix programs (if that term is allowed) is starting to get 'augmented'
by questionable schnick-schnack features like this progress bar.

Next step would be to make that in color or full screen with slang or
ncurses menues.

This should be seen in the same vein as  why we don't distribute
a colorls with the default distribution.

Let's not try to water unix's terseness with such fancy stuff.

I wouldn't mind if effort would be spent in *real* GUIs but that
progress bar is the wrong signal in a wrong direction.