Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:44:28 +0300
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 and /etc

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 15:03:31 -0800, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

>  > Are there any plans to fix XFree86-4 to *not* install stuff in /etc?
>  > A well behaving package should never install anything outside prefix,
>  > especially to /etc.  It's especially weird to see symlinks from
>  > /usr/X11R6/... to /etc.
>
> Installing X11 config files inside /usr/X11R6/ is possible but I
> always considered this as a bad idea. Using /etc for config files
> makes the nfs sharing of /usr/X11R6 among several machines with
> different video config much more easy and convenient.

Fair enough...

As a followup, with XFREE86_VERSION = 4 bsd.port.mk adds dependencies
to XFree86-4-libraries and imake-4.  Can this be changed somehow to
XFree86-4 (say, another option in /etc/make.conf) without resorting to
hacking basd.port.mk (which is painful, as I cvsup ports often)?

Or should I go play symlink games in /var/db/pkg?

SY, Uwe