Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:40:12 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        zellion@cyberwind.com (Jeffery T. White), jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Subject:   Re: named

As Jeffery T. White wrote:

> Couple of things on named:
> 1. The file /etc/namedb/make-localhost is a script but is not installed
> with the execute bit set, pretty minor but figured I'd bring it up since it
> seems install could do that.

People seem to run it as `sh make-localhost', but maybe it should get
an x-bit, yes.

> 2. I had to buy books to find out about the "caching-only" named setup.

Hmm.  What else than running make-localhost did you need in order to
start a caching-only named?  The default named.boot file does exactly
this, and nothing more.

I agree that perhaps sysinstall could offer setting up the named
framework as an option in the network setup screen.  Jordan?  Despite
of running make-localhost, it could also ask for forwarders, and
whether the named should be caching-only.  That's all you can do in a
generic setup.  Still enough of a framework if someone wants to add
more primary or secondary zones later.

--
cheers, J"org